Day 46 of The 100 Days To Building A Great Website Guide
As your blog grows you will likely find more and more demands on your time. You may want to start a new blog. You may want to spend more time working on monetizing your site and generating traffic, and less on generating content. However it is content that makes the blogging world tick. If you stop putting up quality posts to your site people will stop coming.
What’s the Solution?
One easy solution to continuing to put up quality content and saving yourself time is to get a guest blogger to help contribute articles to your site. Guest bloggers will work for either money or traffic, so if you have either one that you are willing to share, you can get some quality articles for your site.
What are some tips on publishing Contributing Authors
- Verify that it not duplicate content - For the first couple of posts that you publish from a specific person, run a check on a couple of key phrases to make sure it isn’t already published elsewhere on the internet. You don’t want to screw yourself by putting up some duplicate content.
- Give it a proof read - You may be surprised how little editing goes into blogs. And anything that goes up on your blog reflects on you. Many times I have seen guest posts no blogs and read the comments. The commentators often have no idea that it was a guest posts, and just attribute it to the main site author.
- Give Credit - You want to continue to get articles from your contributing articles. So make sure that you give credit where credit is due. Give them a prominent link so make sure they get some traffic to their blog. This will make them more inclined to give you more content in the future.
So How Can you get guest bloggers?
Getting guest bloggers isn’t easy. You have to be able to offer something to the people writing for your site. However here are some tips to make it easier.
- PR is important - People judge a site by its Page Rank. If people are looking at contributing to your site they will most likely evaluate whether or not they will get any search engine rankings out of it. If they won’t then they won’t contribute. So if you are having trouble getting contributing authors, wait till the next PR update and you might fair better.
- Guest Blogger - Guest blogger is a site where blogs can ask for guest bloggers, and people who are looking to contribute posts can find blogs to post on. How well it works as a marketplace is still up in the air, so if you use it be sure to let me know
- Ask For Guest Posts - If you want guest posts, make sure that you have a link on your site letting people know. Direct them to a page where you ask for guest posts, and inform them how they contribute. Be sure to let them know if you will take control of they content or whether or not they will retain ownership. After all, your site may not seem that big to you, but a newbie may be looking to guest post anywhere to get some links. Be sure to give them the option.